About Me

My photo
Hello! For many years I've been a writer "by any other name". But in this new season of life as a mom I've realized more and more the importance of real connection, community and being a voice of hope in this wild new world. So here I am, officially calling myself a writer, eagerly looking to engage with you as I write to bring hope along the journey. If you're a new mama, an overwhelmed mama, or just find yourself in any new and unfamiliar season of life, I hope you'll find yourself right at home here.
- Friday, August 27, 2021

He's Got The Whole World In His Hands

 My son was nearly asleep as I began to sing one last song before bed. 

He’s got the whole world, in His hands…


My voice cracking in hushed tones. In part, because my son was nearly asleep and in part because the weight I'd been carrying over the state of this world came crashing down in the face of the profound truth of this simple phrase. I was undone.


It's true! He does. God has the whole world in His hands!


My hand, which suddenly seemed so small, rested on my son’s back.












You've seen the social media posts of the mom holding her babies in her arms with the caption "My whole world right here in my arms!" I understand the sentiment. But the reality is, nothing will make you feel like things are truly out of your hands and beyond your control faster than becoming a parent.  


Parenting is hard. Amazing, but hard.

A tear warmed the side of my face. 

I continued singing.


He’s got you and me, baby, in His hands…


I think about the moms and dads near and on the other side of this world who are, at this moment, lying awake overcome with anxiety about the future, fleeing with their children for their very lives, sitting next to hospital beds praying and pleading, planning funerals. 


And I don’t get it. I don’t understand. I can’t fix it. 


So I sing on.


He’s got the daddies and the mommies in His hands…


He does. He sees and He holds each one of us.


“In his hand are the depths of the earth;

the heights of the mountains are his also.

The sea is his, for he made it,

and his hands formed the dry land.” Psalm 95:4-5


He’s got the angry and the anxious, in His hands.

He’s got the elderly and the itty bitty babies, in His hands.

He’s got Afghanistan and Washington DC, in His hands.

He’s got the health care workers and the sick, in His hands.


He’s got you and me, brother, in His hands.

He’s got you and me, sister, in His hands. 


If all we can do at this moment is declare with cracked, trembly voices that our God is holding all that hurts and angers and confuses and scares us in His mighty, capable, and good hands, let it be enough.  


Not only can we trust His hands to keep us, but also to guide us.

 

He’s got the WHOLE WORLD, in His hands. 

And that includes you, dear one.

May you find your rest in Him tonight.





1 comment:

  1. Love this, Jess. Such a good and timely reminder. 💛💛

    ReplyDelete