About Me

My photo
Hello! For many years I've been a writer "by any other name". But in this new season of life as a mom I've realized more and more the importance of real connection, community and being a voice of hope in this wild new world. So here I am, officially calling myself a writer, eagerly looking to engage with you as I write to bring hope along the journey. If you're a new mama, an overwhelmed mama, or just find yourself in any new and unfamiliar season of life, I hope you'll find yourself right at home here.
- Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Let the Laughter Come

Joke of the day brought to you by yours truly: 

Why do toddlers always want to play with the remote control?

 Because they love pushing buttons.  

****ba-dum-bum-CHING!!****

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all night....

No, but seriously. Raise your hand if your kid has been pushing those buttons lately!🙋


We spent our Christmas break at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. One night, after a long day of sugar, spoiling and little sleep, my husband and I had had it. Frustration was brimming and we were very eager for the kids’ bedtime. It wouldn’t be long before the kids would be in bed and we could finally exhale. 


Or so we thought. 


Somehow my son mistook me saying we were going to bed for we were going home. So there he stood at my parents’ front door in his cute little Christmas jammies having a full-on melt down because, “YOU SAID WE ARE GOING HOME!!!”. 


I couldn’t listen to him scream another second, so I simply said, “Well if you’re going home tonight you’re going to have to drive yourself because your dad, sister, and I are sleeping here. GOODNIGHT, HAVE A GOOD DRIVE!” And then I marched on down the stairs to the bedroom where my husband and daughter were. 


My already elevated level of frustration grew with each passing minute of screaming. Finally, it grew quiet and I heard little footsteps coming down the stairs. At this point, I was geared up- ready for a good ole fashioned toddler bedtime battle. I was mad and I sure wasn’t going to try to hide it. 


The door flung open and Oliver walked through with this peculiar look on his face...then he made the funniest noise I have ever heard! It was as if he was thinking about what it would be like for him to drive himself home and was tickled by the very idea of it. 


I can’t even begin to describe to you what the sound was, but it immediately made my husband and I laugh. And when I say laugh, I mean full-on, actually rolling on the floor, hootin’ and a hollerin’ kind of laughter that just completely filled the room. This laughter lasted several minutes and all four of us were beside ourselves. 


This was the kind of laughter that wipes the slate clean. This kind of laughter shakes up all the stiff places in your soul. This kind of laughter spreads joy to every nook and cranny of your heart until you walk around on the verge of smiling and laughing for days.


The weight of the day was gone in an instant. 


“A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.” Proverbs 17:22


You know, that laughter almost didn’t come. 


Just before Oliver came into the room I was seething. I can distinctly remember the moment when I began to feel the joy swell up in me. And then a pause. A split-second decision was to be made.  


I knew if I let the laughter come, I would have to let the frustration go. 


I wasn’t sure I wanted to let my frustration go. After all, I “deserved” to be mad. I was ready to let my people see just how justifiably angry I was. 


I know how absurd this sounds, but maybe you can relate? 


Are you standing at a crossroads? Face twisted with frustration, heart hardened with bitterness, clenched fists full of anger. 


You have a choice! 


You can choose to carry on, though the bone-crushing weight of your burden multiplies with each step, and your shrapnel cuts through those who are closest to you. 


Or you can choose joy.


Let the laughter come. Though it may surprise you, let it swell up from the depths. Let it wash over you and lift you up. Let it sweep up others who are around you until you’re all together, rolling in the waves of laughter.  


I don’t know what worries or frustrations ail you, but I do know laughter really is the best medicine.



No comments:

Post a Comment