About Me

My photo
Hello! For many years I've been a writer "by any other name". But in this new season of life as a mom I've realized more and more the importance of real connection, community and being a voice of hope in this wild new world. So here I am, officially calling myself a writer, eagerly looking to engage with you as I write to bring hope along the journey. If you're a new mama, an overwhelmed mama, or just find yourself in any new and unfamiliar season of life, I hope you'll find yourself right at home here.
- Monday, April 27, 2020

This is the Day

This is the day
In the early morning hours before the sun has been told to dash away the
dark, you cry out. I go to you in the darkness, lift you up out of your state
and draw you near. You can’t see me through the darkness but you burrow in.
My hand caresses your hair even as you squirm and writhe, seemingly uncomfortable
on the inside. Despite the darkness, I know you. I know your form and I hold you
securely. You are, of course, of me. Your body sinks deeper into mine as the familiar
rocking motion lulls you away from the discomfort. 


We remain. 


Each bound to this moment for different reasons, in different ways. 


Time passes.  


I begin to see your sleepy face illuminated slowly in a patchwork of sunlight
and shadows. Each precious feature illuminated more with each passing minute
until the sun becomes too much for the shadows to remain.


Good morning, love. 


A faint slit appears below your eyelids and then disappears as
quickly as it came.
It’s too soon. In low hushed tones I begin calling you. 


“This is the day…” I pause as we stay a bit longer.
“This is the day, that the Lord has made…”

The corner of your mouth begins to lift as you know what this means.
“I will rejoice,” your eyes blink into the morning. 

“I will rejoice, and be glad in it....”

You are here now. The darkness is no longer. My voice flooding in with the
sunlight.
“This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it…”  

Awakened anew, you rejoice. With unformed words and joyful noises, you rejoice.
Yes child, we will rejoice. 

For this is the day.




No comments:

Post a Comment